When it comes to eyewear, American Optical and Randolph are two legendary American brands that have been at the forefront of manufacturing high-quality sunglasses and optical frames.
Both brands boast a rich history, a commitment to exceptional craftsmanship, and a loyal customer base. In this article, we will delve into the world of American Optical and Randolph, exploring their origins, products, and what sets them apart from each other.
1. American Optical:
American Optical (AO) holds a prominent place in eyewear history, with roots dating back to 1826. Originally established as a small spectacle shop in Southbridge, Massachusetts, AO quickly gained recognition for its superior quality lenses and frames. Over the years, AO became renowned for providing eyewear to the U.S. military, including the iconic aviator sunglasses worn by American pilots during World War II.
Products: AO offers a diverse range of eyewear options, including sunglasses, prescription glasses, safety glasses, and goggles. They are known for their classic and timeless designs, with the Original Pilot and General models being among their most popular offerings. AO sunglasses are celebrated for their exceptional optical clarity and durability, achieved through meticulous craftsmanship and the use of high-quality materials.
Randolph Engineering is another esteemed American eyewear manufacturer, founded in 1972 in Randolph, Massachusetts. Originally specializing in producing high-quality frames for the U.S. military, Randolph has since expanded its product line to include sunglasses and prescription eyewear for civilians, while still maintaining a strong connection to the military community.
Products: Randolph sunglasses are characterized by their robust construction, attention to detail, and an emphasis on functionality. The brand is widely recognized for its aviator-style sunglasses, such as the iconic Aviator and Concorde models. Randolph frames are made from premium materials like stainless steel and hypoallergenic alloys, ensuring durability and comfort. The brand also offers customizable options, allowing customers to select frame color, lens type, and various other features.
American Optical vs Randolph: Quick Comparison
- Heritage: Both American Optical and Randolph have a long-standing heritage deeply rooted in American eyewear manufacturing. American Optical’s history dates back almost 200 years, while Randolph Engineering has been a prominent player in the industry for over five decades.
- Military Connections: One key distinction between the two brands lies in their military affiliations. American Optical has a strong historical association with the U.S. military, having supplied eyewear to servicemen and women for generations. Randolph Engineering’s roots also lie in military contracts, and they continue to provide high-quality eyewear to military personnel today.
- Designs and Aesthetics: While both brands offer classic, timeless designs, there are subtle differences in their aesthetics. American Optical sunglasses often feature a more traditional, understated look, with an emphasis on clean lines and minimal branding. Randolph sunglasses, on the other hand, exhibit a slightly bolder and more contemporary style, with distinctive frame shapes and sizes.
- Material and Construction: Both American Optical and Randolph prioritize using premium materials and superior craftsmanship. American Optical frames are typically made from cellulose acetate or metal alloys, while Randolph frames predominantly feature stainless steel and other high-quality alloys. The construction techniques employed by both brands result in durable, long-lasting eyewear.
- Price: Generally, American Optical sunglasses and frames are positioned at a slightly lower price point compared to Randolph. The non-polarized Aviators from Randolph are $149, while the non-polarized Original Pilots from American Optical are $84.This can make American Optical a more accessible option for budget-conscious consumers without compromising on quality and style. On the other hand, Randolph sunglasses are often considered a premium brand, reflecting their meticulous craftsmanship, military heritage, and use of high-end materials.While Randolph’s higher price tag may be a consideration for some, it is important to note that their products are built to last, offering excellent value for the investment. Ultimately, the price difference between the two brands may influence the purchasing decision depending on individual preferences and budget constraints.
American Optical vs Randolph: So, Which is the Superior Option?
Determining the superior option between American Optical and Randolph ultimately depends on individual preferences, needs, and priorities. Both brands have a long-standing reputation for producing high-quality eyewear with excellent craftsmanship.
Consider the design aesthetic that appeals to you the most. American Optical offers classic, timeless designs with a more traditional and understated look, while Randolph offers slightly bolder and more contemporary styles. Assess which brand’s designs align more with your personal style and preferences.
Pricing is another factor you must consider before choosing one. Choose the price range that you are comfortable with. American Optical generally offers eyewear at a slightly lower price point compared to Randolph. However, it is important to remember that Randolph’s higher price reflects their premium craftsmanship and materials, which may be worth the investment for those seeking exceptional quality.
You also must take into account the materials and construction methods used by each brand. American Optical frames are typically made from cellulose acetate or metal alloys, while Randolph frames predominantly feature stainless steel and other high-quality alloys. Assess which materials align with your preferences for durability, comfort, and aesthetics.
So overall if you have big budget then obviously Randolph is the better and superior option for you. But if you are little tight at budget then even American Optical is good to go for. If possible then try on eyewear from both American Optical and Randolph, to determine which brand provides the best fit, comfort, and visual appeal for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Clean Your Randolph Sunglasses?
Cleaning your Randolph sunglasses is a simple process that can help maintain their clarity and condition. Here are the steps to clean your Randolph sunglasses effectively:
How Do You Tighten the Randolph Sunglasses?
By following these steps and regularly cleaning your Randolph sunglasses, you can ensure they remain in optimal condition and provide you with clear vision and stylish protection.
If you find that your Randolph sunglasses have become loose or need tightening, you can follow these steps to adjust them:
Remember, it’s important to handle your Randolph sunglasses with care during the tightening process to avoid any accidental damage. Regularly checking and tightening the screws will help maintain the integrity of your sunglasses and ensure they stay securely on your face while providing optimal comfort and functionality.
How Do You Store Your Sunglasses?
Always store your sunglasses in a sturdy and protective case specifically designed for eyewear. The case should have a soft lining or pouch to prevent scratches and provide cushioning. When placing your sunglasses in the case, ensure they are properly closed and secure.
Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures. Extreme temperatures, such as excessive heat or cold, can damage the lenses, frames, and coatings of your sunglasses. Avoid leaving them in hot cars, on windowsills, or in freezing conditions.
To prevent accidental damage, store your sunglasses in a location that is out of reach of children and pets. This reduces the risk of them being mishandled or chewed on.
Avoid placing your sun glasses on bed, sofa or chair as it increases the risk of accidental damage. They can easily get knocked off or crushed when someone sits or lies down on the bed, potentially causing scratches, frame misalignment, or even breakage.
American Optical and Randolph are two iconic American eyewear brands that have stood the test of time. With their rich histories, commitment to excellence, and exceptional craftsmanship, they have become symbols of American-made eyewear. Whether you prefer the classic elegance of American Optical or the contemporary style of Randolph, both brands offer a range of high-quality sunglasses and optical frames that cater to diverse tastes and preferences. Ultimately, the choice between American Optical and Randolph boils down