It seems that in content marketing for fashion and style, the text does not play a role at all – under the photo of the new collection, it is enough for the brand to indicate the price and the name of the material. In fact, a detailed article can be more effective than a gallery with pictures. The fashion article will help increase brand awareness and attract new customers.
In some way, such an article can be considered an essay about fashion. And if you don’t write texts about fashion before, it is better to hire essay writers at https://essayshark.com. They will write an article or essay on any fashion topic for you.
We have collected the most effective formats and techniques for writing a fashion article for a magazine.
Write use cases
A use case is a review of a product or service on behalf of a customer. Readers like it when an article has a main character they can identify with. For example, in the publication, you can speak about a new collection of dresses on behalf of a young mother on maternity leave. Many women on maternity leave are familiar with the problem of the heroine, so they will read the article to learn more about dresses.
The most important thing in a use case is that the hero and their story must be alive:
- In the first-person format, colloquial words are appropriate.
- The article should tell not only about the product but also about the client: how old they are, what they do, and what problems and goals they have.
- It is important to show the difference before and after using the product. Tell readers what the client’s life was like before and what it became when they started wearing clothes from a brand.
The collection format is ideal when you need to talk about several products in one story. Readers like these articles because of their clear structure: you can skim through the text and stop at the most interesting subheadings. For example, you can write about ten stylish cashmere items that will never go out of style. Each item is described in the format “title with a link to the catalog + photo + short description.”
Ideas for collections:
- by season – 5 shirts/dresses/down jackets for this summer/winter;
- by the images – 5 looks with the same shirt;
- by place and event – 5 options for what to wear for a walk with a child/to the office.
You can combine several formats.
Tell the reader about potential situations in which they can wear this or that item. For example, if you write an article about the most fashionable shoes of the season, you can emphasize that nude loafers will suit both a smart casual office look and denim shorts for a walk.
When an article has scenarios, a potential buyer can imagine how the item will fit into their wardrobe and life.
Add photos and videos
Don’t get hung up on descriptions and scenarios. Fashion is all about looks, so you need to use photos and short videos that showcase the clothes.
In what format can it be done?
- They help out when you need to show one thing from different angles or demonstrate small details – buttons, material texture, pockets, stitching. For example, if you write an article about swimwear, thanks to collages, the reader can see the structure of the ribbed fabric and appreciate how perfectly the set fits.
- Clothes on models. When the cloth in the photo is hanging on a hanger, it is difficult to understand how it will sit on the figure and what it is combined with. For example, if you write an article about outerwear for the summer and show clothes on models – the reader can see the cut and fit.
- Real photos and feedback from the buyers. For example, Marks & Spencer used photos of clients in a publication about clothing made from natural fabrics.
Talk about trends
Write about what’s in fashion right now. Tell readers about the latest fashion shows, and note the current silhouettes, colors, and combinations.
If you have a premium designer brand, you can talk about trends in your own collections. You can sort out the images of models from shows and demonstrate similar-style items from its catalog. In one article, you can show many things from different categories.
If the brand is positioned as a budget mass market, offer the items as an alternative to expensive designer collections – choose similar silhouettes, materials, and colors.
Give specific instructions
Give specific instructions and explain why it is necessary to do so and not otherwise. For example, in the article, you can give unequivocal and simple self-care tips: how to style eyebrows, apply highlighter, scrub, and moisturize lips.
Use celebrity photos
As illustrations for materials about fashion and makeup, you can use photos not of ordinary people but of celebrities. Such photos can be found in photo banks. Familiar faces immediately attract attention in the article. In addition, many people want to make up and dress just like their favorite actress.
Look at the history of fashion
If you’re selling an original product, tell readers how it came to be, how it got popular, and why all the hottest influencers are already wearing these clothes. For example, in the article, you can tell that even before wearing masks became mandatory, they were a stylish accessory for American rappers, and the fashion brand Gucci actively used them in shows.
Offer options for different budgets
“I want/can” collections are popular with readers because they offer a budget replacement for expensive things. You can take this technique to a new level – select an affordable alternative to your own items. Let’s say you are writing an article about jewelry. Both in the “I want” and the “I can” sections, there should be photos of earrings, rings, or watches from different metals and price categories. Therefore, each reader can choose jewelry according to their budget.